Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Seventh Wheel: Day 3.

Hola, Amigos e Amigas!

It's day three of the Fam Damily Vacation to Mexico, and I'm feeling fine.

The flight down was LOOOOONG. I woke up on Saturday morning at 4:30am, and didn't arrive in Playa del Carmen until 9:30 Victoria time. Yes - exhausting. Since then, it's been a struggle to get consistent internet connection, so I couldn't update my blog until now.

Conditions: high of 34 degrees, low of 26. Extremely humid. Sunny, some overcast, a smidge of rain now and again...but not expected for a few more days. Our rented condo is on the outskirts of the major tourist trap/hotel zone. My mother despises this fact, and has made it known roughly every hour on the hour since our arrival late Saturday night. Myself, I think it's A-OK. There's life everywhere, the phenomenal white sand and turquoise water beaches are but a couple of blocks away, and the best little beef taco joint around the corner (where the folks who run it are crazy friendly, help you with your horrible Spanish, and make amazing shredded meat delicacies for roughly a buck Canadian. Yay - and Yum!).

This morning, I went for a run along the water. It would have been totally gorgeous, save for the hoards of tourists littering the whole area. But the scenery, and the warm ocean breeze...nothing like it. (I will say - thank god for sweatproof SPF 30! I was out for an hour, and only got a slight bit of bronze. :) On my way off the beach heading for the condo, I see the most adorable, TEENY little latino boy crying, saying "Papa!" He barely came up to my thigh, and couldn't have been more than 3 years old. I bent down to talk to him, and saw nearby a lady laugh and nod at me, pointing to herself as she continued to bury another boy in the sand. His Mom? It was as if he was thinking it too far to walk to her alone. So I took his hand and lead him back to her, at which he seemed relieved and I left. So far, I'd have to say that was the hilight of the trip.

But there's more to come. I am eager to check out the local archaeological ruins - Chichen Itza, Tulum. The Cenotes, huge underground sinkhole caves. And the neighboring islands of Cozumel and Isla de Mujeres. Besides this, just do some snorkelling, some exploring of the townships, and enjoying the beach.

Now, if I can only stave off the urge to do "work" I foolishly brought with me (thinking I might get bored at night - which is entirely possible, seeing as I am the Seventh Wheel). ;)

That's it for now. Until tomorrow.

Hugs to all my friends at home. I miss you!

No comments: