Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Seventh Wheel's random observations...

* There are little black birds everywhere here. I suspect they are some sort of magpie. the are slender, sprightly, and incredibly clever. Very beautiful - such a glossy black that the relentless sunshine is reflected from their feathers as a lovely emerald blue. Their beaks and tails are so long and elegant, they seem to have the style of film-noir mobster molls, with their cigarette holders and their stylish, sharp hats.

* The only multigrain bread in the stores is "Wonder Wheat". It sticks to the roof of your mouth. I will venture into town tomorrow to find real bread. A little cafe we ate at the other day advertized the sale of its own delicious bread. (Of course, I think that most folks around here eat masa-based breads - tortillas, tostadas, etc. - which I am thoroughly enjoying.)

* This is the land of the salespeople. Every little shop has folks eager to sell you their wares. Some of them are downright cheeky in their efforts to get your business as you walk by! Last night, while walking back from dinner, one male shopowner cries out to us ladies "Hey, Barbies! Let's dance!" (I suppose a trio of blonde Gringos might look like an army of Barbies - though I was thoroughly unflattered with the comparison.)

* The local kids are so CUTE! The sounds of their play in neighboring homes (and the daycare right next door) is a pleasant aural backdrop. Clothing is quite gender-specific. The little boys tend to wear shorts that go below the knee, making them look like "mini-me's". The little girls always seem to be taller for some reason, wearing similar length skirts, always long and bouncy braids with all sorts of whispy tendrils escaping around their crown. They play into the night - the sounds of which my mother finds annoying ("Shoudn't they be in bed by now?")...but which I find to be quite lovely.

*There is always a lusciously cooling breeze off the ocean that tempers the thick, moist heat that blankets everything. I thank my lucky stars for it every moment.

*At the moment, I am alone in the condo. I went down for a "siesta", and it appears everyone has toddled off somewhere. I love it. Ah - peace.

1 comment:

mj said...

heidi heidi heidi

glad you're getting a chance to enjoy the sun. I just hopped off a plane from 34 degrees in australia to find it snowing at home - beware!

Hope all continues to go well, and stay away from the work!!!!!!!

cheers
Molly