Saturday, February 24, 2007

The Seventh Wheel!

Hello, All!

I begin my journey in Blogland with a milestone that many others have surely braved before me, but to date has been a mystery to me: The Family Vacation.

You see, growing up we never had much cash to take off as a familial unit and do random recreational things. We pretty much spent our seasons and holidays at home. Not that I am complaining. I always loved cycling to the beach with my friend Kathy, hiking around the forest with the dog, and drawing on my bed when it was miserable out. And holidays were always a mix of food-centred celebration and expectation-based dread. But we didn't really know any different. Go away camping? Who did that? My first camping excursion was with a boyfriend after I had graduated from highschool.

Anyway - my Mom decided last year to take all of us to Mexico. Playa del Carmen, to be exact. I've been already. It's a lovely part of the world. Breathtaking land, resilient people, troubling social injustice to brace the americanized glamour. My family will have their partners. Christina has Chris there. Jon has Jamie. Mom has Norm. And I - well, I have my stuffed animal Mr. Bojangles, the pull-out couch, and the blessings of luck and curiousity.

So, tomorrow at 5:50am, I shall start the journey south, where I shall spend ten days with my family in a rented house on the beach.

Wish me sanity!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No pressure Missy, but I'm posting your blog onto my "favorites". Enjoy your break Heidster, We'll miss ya!
Whatever you do don't hang out on the corner of Image and Scrimmage.

Love you,

Trisha and Callan

deaf dealings said...

hey diva,

niiiiiice, it's great to see the original diva (the original education diva anyway) truckin' along with the seventh wheel concept. right. on.

yeah. i'm out.
meghan